Friday 28 January 2011

Using Children's TV Show Clips...

Well today I began inter-cutting a few very short clips of children's shows that I had downloaded, and I thought they looked very effective and created the exact tone I was aiming for. However, I came across a dilemma, as, after editing a few of these into my video, I found out that the specification includes some rules about using other people's footage, which concerned me hugely, because I felt the clips, were a perfect match for my video. The specification basically said that, and clips I include, that are not my own work, won't be marked, and can only be used if the original audio is not used, that the image is distorted in some way and that the usage was limited. This news relieved me a little, as none of the clips I had used, or intend to use have any sound, as I wanted my music to be playing over the top; also I had decided to distort the images (as I stated in a previous post). All the clips I would like to use, I have distorted the colour, or changed the shape or view of it, sped it up, and used various other filters and effects. I chose to do this, as the shows would link with the title and nature of the song 'Kids' and put a spin on the recognisable shows, as the distortion would create a sense of unbalance, as the altered clips, were not expected to be what I changed them to. This is also similar to the official video, that has a small child being scared, by people with monster-style masks, implying that children see adults and others in a much more twisted way, to fit the song, and is a theme I wanted to convey in my video too. Also, complying with the spec. the length of any of the clips I use a very short, definitely no longer than 1-2 seconds, which is only when I want a specific part, but most of them are around a thirteenth of a second long, and I am in no way intending to use them to simply fill up time, or create any kind of narrative.


I really liked the idea of using the clips, as they break up the large amounts of stop-motion, creating a new dynamic to the video and keeping up the pace. I am aware that the clips that are included, I could have attempted to create in some way, myself, but I wanted the contrast between my attempt of creating a child-like themed animation, and well known children's shows to be clear. Also had I made my own 'children's shows' they may not have necessarily been interpreted in that way, as they would have never been seen before, so would just be a part of my video, rather than an emblem of children's televised youth. I wanted the clips to highlight the constructed nature of the much larger percentage that I developed myself (which is slightly post-modern, as is the band and song I have chosen) showing how different the two styles are, but also, with the distorted clips, linking with my slightly off, playful, but slightly more sinister youth themed video. Finally, I liked the clips being included, as it gives the audience something to relate to, it allows them to recall their own childhood, or any memories associated with the shows, creating a more welcoming attitude to my video, as it includes something they can relate to, in a slightly more mature way, and incorporated in a popular song. I found this effect was successfully created, as a peer of mine wanted to see the progress I had made, and commented on the clips, recalling them with much joy. I am not using the clips as my own, but almost an homage to them, as by simply showing a twelfth of a second of any of them, they are easily recognised, and fondly remembered. I felt I should post this, to show the detail and thought I have put into the use of these clips, and why exactly, I feel they will enhance my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment