Thursday 2 December 2010

Audience Research - Planning and Post Production

I constructed a fairly basic questionnaire, just to get an idea of my target audience, what they like or dislike and any opinions or clear trends there may be. Here is a sample of the questionnaire I distributed:



From the data I gathered, I can see that the audience I am most likely aiming my product at are in the age ranges 13-17 and 18-24. I have not only chosen these age ranges because they were the most common answer, but also because I used opportunity sampling - asking whatever participants were available to take part - showing that these age ranges are the most accessible audience for me, so it is logical that they are my target audience.
I found that 90% of the people I asked liked music videos, so making my video well is essential. However I got some quite unexpected answers for the question "How often do you watch music videos?" with 63% watching them 'sometimes' and 32% watching them either 'rarely' or 'never'. I found it to be quite an anomaly that only 5% watched them all the time, yet almost all the people I asked said they liked music videos, but hardly ever watched them, suggesting that although they like music videos, watching them is not a high priority.


Also in my questionnaire I asked if the participants were aware of the differences between a concept, performance and narrative based video, as simply asking them which is their favourite, unaware if they know of the differences, may have caused some unusual results. I also included that question to get an idea of my target audience's knowledge of music videos, and whether it would have an effect on my music video. I found that quite a high percentage - 63% - did know the difference and although a smaller percentage were unaware, it was still fairly high - 36%. This shows that the style of music video I make will matter a lot, as my target audience will be able to understand it better from knowing the differences, but also that as a fair few aren't as knowledgeable, I have a little more freedom with my video.


Overall the favourite style of video was narrative, with the main reason for people liking it was because they found it the most interesting and liked it to link with the song. Although my video doesn't really have a narrative, my concept does link with the song, so I hope my target audience will like the link, even without a narrative. But the only combination people stated they liked was narrative and concept, which I found interesting, as they are quite different ideas, so to want a mixture, seemed fairly unusual, however it was helpful to me to see that some people did like concept videos. My results also showed that, generally speaking, my target audience prefer the music video to reflect the music and lyrics, as 100% said that was their preference. This result is useful to me, as my music video has quite a strong link with the song, and often reflects the music, which is what my target audience want, so it should be successful in that respect.


I also asked what people's favourite genres of music were, to get an idea of how many would be aware of, or like my chosen song, and if it would greatly affect the reception it would get when shown to others. The most popular genres were Pop, Rock and Metal, this was mildly reassuring to me, as MGMT's music is Pop/Electro, so as that was one of the favourite genres, hopefully my target audience will be familiar with the band, or song, and like it. However, as Metal and Rock were also quite popular, I may receive quite mixed reviews of my video, as these are quite different styles to the song I have picked, and the style of my video.


Overall I found this initial research to be quite useful, in giving me some general ideas of the audience I am aiming at, and helping me draw some tentative conclusions about their preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment