Thursday 25 November 2010

Textual Analysis of Previous Student Work - Made Up Love Song No. 43 by The Guillemots


I like the idea behind this video, as it contrasts well with the song, but I do think it is quite similar to the song's official video, so the group could have been slightly more adventurous, and thought up their own original idea, however they carry this one off quite well.

Strengths
- There is a nice variety of locations used (especially the beach scenes) that seem quite fitting for the slow, slightly folk-like song.

- I think the tracking shot of the actor running, is a really interesting thing to do, and acts as quite a distinctive feature within the music video. But I think the execution of that particular shot didn't work as well as it could have, as his singing at the same time, doesn't quite fit, letting it down slightly.


- I also like that they incorporated a few of Goodwin's Six into their video, most specifically the music matching the visuals, as the singer runs into the distance as the faster drumming begins. It also makes the video appear more like a "typical" music video, by adhering to Goodwin's ideas.

Weaknesses
- The sound quality doesn't seem to be as good as it could be, but I'm unsure as to whether this is because of it being uploaded to You Tube or because the version used wasn't high quality.

- The actor’s acting doesn’t seem to quite fit with the lyrics at certain points i.e. (2.49) as he smiles when singing some sombre lyrics, and also acts unconvincingly sometimes, suggesting that they are not really taking it seriously enough, or putting enough effort in, which begins to interfere with the tone of the video.

Similarly to the previous student work that I analysed below, I can see that lighting is definitely a big issue when filming, and will be very conscious of that throughout my filming process. As well as this, I will also have to make sure that any actors I use convey the right meanings that I would like them to when singing, to make sure it is convincing.

1 comment:

  1. If you are planning on including any lip syncing in your music video it is best to actually get the actor to sing along for real rather than just mouthing the words. It is also best to play the song from a digital device like an mp3 player or ipod as CDs can spin at slightly different speeds. I would also encourage you to get this done early so you can spend time getting the editing right.

    ReplyDelete